[My main Tumblr can be found over at myasphyxiatedmind]
If you want your ask replied to privately, just put '****' before you start typing.
My name is: Michelle, but most people call me Dark online.
My gender-pronouns are: They/them/their.
I am: 26 years old, a feminist, liberal, an atheist, an omnivore, and an ISFJ.
The Feminist: Intersectional, body positive, pro-choice, and sex positive.
My privileged identities include: Female assigned at birth (trans* privilege), white, able-bodied, allistic (?), dyadic, monogamous.
My non-privileged/oppressed identities include: Gender-fluid, fat, gray-a, neuroatypical, and gay.
I have: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Major Depressive Disorder.
I like: Pets & animals, animal welfare, pet care & pet care education, ~*SCIENCE!*~, anatomy & physiology, roleplaying, anime/manga, computer & video games, rock & metal music.
I think healthcare providers should treat the patient in front of them for the healthcare issue that they have using evidence based medicine and informed consent . I would hope that healthcare providers who don’t have what they need to properly treat fat people would be on the forefront of activism to get the tools that they need to help their patients, not trying to hide their fat bigotry in talk about whose fault fat people’s healthcare issues are or how they could treat them if their bodies were smaller.
When you go to the doctor I suggest that you interrupt conversations about whose fault something is and instead ask that your doctor focus on providing you with evidence-based healthcare for the issue that you are presenting with. Some phrases that I find helpful at the doctor are:
• Do thin people get this health issue? Can I get the treatment protocol that they get?
• Can you help me understand how suggesting that I should be blamed for [my health issue] is part of your plant to help me get better? or I disagree that suggesting that I should be blamed for my health issue will help us to treat it so let’s please move on.
• Can we please skip over who is to blame and focus on how we’re going to treat this issue?
• Can you give me the name of a study of a weight loss intervention where the majority of people have lost the amount of weight that you are recommending that I lose and kept it off for the long term, as well as a study that shows that doing so would have long term positive effects on my health?
• Studies from Yale have shown that over 50% of doctors have some prejudice against people of size – do you consider yourself part of that group of doctors?
Regardless, if you go for healthcare you deserve to get care for your health, not suggestions of fault and lectures.
This is a call to arms.
Are you fed up with being pegged as a whore because you use birth control? Are you sick of the displaced misogynist abuse deterred towards women whom consensually have/ don’t have an avid sex life?Why are we treated as if we’re incapable of managing our own bodies?
As women, we’ve been sexually oppressed for years. Finally, within the last few decades, we’ve had the opportunity to embrace ourselves with access to contraceptives.
Then suddenly, a shit-storm of privileged, caucasian, heterosexual males are propositioning rules that are harmful to our well-being. Suddenly, we’re “whores” because we use contraception. Then we’re “prostitutes” because we want birth control to be covered by health insurance. We’re “frigid spinsters” because we choose to not have sex. Then, we’re the devil Himself because we need/ want access to safe abortions. Last but not least, if we do give birth, then we’re labeled as incompetent.
The main fact that the GOP is ignoring is that a majority of us aren’t using birth control because we want to run rampant on the streets, exposing our “orchids” to any and all pedestrians.
Sure, some of us are merely using contraceptives because we don’t want children (yet or ever). However, brace yourself, this might come off as baffling, but some of us use birth control due to medical conditions.
For example, according to WebMD, birth control (OCs) can lower the risk of cancer, make periods lighter, PMS/PMDD relief, fewer periods, and ease the pain and symptoms caused by endometriosis and polycystic ovarian syndrome.
Krystal, a fellow organizer and the brains behind this project states that: “it shouldn’t matter if women are using contraceptives for preventative measures or due to any of the reasons stated above. The [GOP] cannot and will not condemn us for wanting to prevent an accidental pregnancy and then torture us for getting pregnant without a means of prevention. What they need to do is increase sex education and make access to birth control easier.”
Personally, I use birth control for two reasons:
1. I’m in college and I’m in a monogamous relationship. However, my partner and I are not ready for a child because we are not mature enough to take care of another human-being (puppies don’t count) and we are not financially stable.
2. I have PMDD that quite literally drives myself and everyone around me insane. Because I’ve had access to birth control, I was able to graduate with two AA degrees and transfer to a University.
Not because I didn’t have a child, but because my hormones and mood-swings were finally balanced. I wasn’t falling into depression anymore. I was finally able to focus on my goals after being completely lost and confused for a year. I literally thought that I was becoming clinically insane and it was time to check myself into an asylum.
If you take birth control for any reason, may it be because of PCOS or simply because you don’t plan on starting a family any time soon, and you’re enraged over the recent controversy revolving around women’s rights…. Then I have a proposition for you.
How would you feel about stylin’ a “Scarlett Letter”? If you personally take birth control (for ANY reason at all), just find a piece of fabric and make yourself a patch.
If your significant other would want to support the cause as well, I’m sure that they can pin one on for support!
If you have any splendid ideas for what the patch/ pin could be of- shoot it over in the comments! It would be better if all the materials are practical and handy because this is a DIY grass-roots movement that could potentially take the world by storm!
Boost this shit.