[My main Tumblr can be found over at myasphyxiatedmind]
If you want your ask replied to privately, just put '****' before you start typing.
My name is: Michelle, but most people call me Dark online.
My gender-pronouns are: They/them/their.
I am: 27 years old, a feminist, an atheist, an omnivore, and an ISFJ.
The Feminist: Intersectional, body positive, pro-choice, and sex positive.
My privileged identities include: Female assigned at birth (FAAB trans* privilege), white, able-bodied, allistic (?), dyadic, monogamous.
My non-privileged/oppressed identities include: Gender-fluid, fat, gray-a, neuroatypical, and gay.
I have: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Dermatophagia, and Dermatillomania.
I like: Pets & animals, animal welfare, pet care & pet care education, ~*SCIENCE!*~, anatomy & physiology, roleplaying, anime/manga, computer & video games, rock & metal music.
I don’t understand what’s wrong with supporting the Salvation Army?
Well, here’s the deal, anon. The Salvation Army is an evangelical Christian group, and they impose those beliefs on the people that they employ and the communities they serve. Here are a few examples:
They are so opposed to LGBT rights that they have lobbied multiple times for exemptions from Federal and Local anti-discrimination laws, and threatened to withdraw their services.
They refused to provide shelter to a homeless gay couple, unless they broke up and renounced their homosexuality.
They refused to provide a transgender woman with shelter that was congruent with her gender presentation, instead insisting she house with men. She chose instead to sleep on the sidewalk and died from the cold.
Speaking of gender, there was also this charming incident where one of their hostels refused to open the door for a 17-year-old victim who had just been brutally raped (or even call the police for her) because that particular hostel had a strict “men only” policy.
Children who can’t prove their immigration status are turned away.
The organization also disposes of any Harry Potter or Twilight related donations (rather than giving them to other charities), because they claim the toys are “incompatible with the charity’s Christian beliefs”.
During the Bush Administration (thanks to ‘faith-based initiatives’) they fired about 20 long-time employees (Jewish, Muslim, Hindu and Gay), simply for refusing to sign the organization’s statement of Christian belief.
So, that—in a nutshell—is what’s wrong with it.
Winter is coming… and so are their buckets. Remember this when they’re bothering you for change.
Sexuality labels are not about being a special snowflake. They’re not about “getting” to say “I’m x-sexual and y-romantic!”. They’re not about making people acknowledge and pat the ass of everyone who dares be anything other than heterosexual. They’re not about micromanaging and unnecessarily categorizing the world. They’re just about identity.
They’re about feeling a certain way about certain people that can be really scary and confusing, especially when one grows up surrounded by heteronormativity. They’re about finding someone, anyone, who is similar, and being able to share a bond over that. They’re about discovering that this weird, uncomfortable fit you feel in the world around you is an experience shared by other people, and that it’s normal and okay. They’re about being able to come to terms with the confusing feelings because they have something to attach them to.
They’re just about the people who choose to attach one to themselves.
Pansexuality isn’t “bisexuality but you are also attracted to trans* people”. Pansexuality is the attraction to all genders, even those outside of male and female.
Also, it’s pretty much a terrible, horrible, awful idea to insinuate that trans*people are fundamentally different from cis people and are their own separate gender. Please don’t do that.
Also, there are bisexual people who are also attracted to people outside the gender binary in addition to men and women, and while we may have attraction patterns similar or even identical to pansexual people, please respect that we do not identify as such.
(Also anyone stating or inferring that bisexuals aren’t attracted to trans people is asking for me to repossess my oxygen from their lungs. Kthx.)
I’ve been back and forth on this for myself. I’m attracted to female identified individuals and I’m gender-fluid so technically, identifying as gay would be ‘wrong’ or whatever.
But it would really suck to have to write out ‘I”m attracted to female identified individuals’ every time someone asked me about my sexuality. Saying ‘I’m gay’ is just simpler. So I’ve stuck with it.
So, yeah, I’m inclined to say it’s not anyone’s business if a non-binary person wants to identify as gay.
- Finally, A Feminism 101 Blog - Frequently Answered Questions
- Feminist Literature (Tumblr)
- Feminist texts written by women of color (Tumblr)
- fuckyeahfeminists (Tumblr)
- grrrlpower (Tumblr)
Racism, Race, & Culture
- Institutional/Structural Racism Within a Context: A Historical Glimpse at the Concept of “Race”
- Definitions - Racism Free Ontario Initiative
- Different Forms of Racism
- What is a Microaggression? What are Racial Microagressions?
- Appropriation vs. Appreciation
- A Look at the Myth of Reverse Racism
- Who are People of Colour? Why can’t I use the term “coloured”?
- Colourblindness: Colorblind Ideology is a Form of Racism
- The Angry Eye (YouTube)
- Racialicious (Tumblr)
- ladyatheist (Tumblr)
Sizeism & Body Positivity
- Truth Behind Fat: References
- Obesity, Health, and Metabolic Fitness
- Don’t You Realize Fat Is Unhealthy?
- Diets Don’t Work, But…
- Reality vs. Relativism
- THE HAES MANIFESTO (pdf)
- Fat Acceptance FAQ
- redefiningbodyimage (Tumblr)
GSM (Gender & Sexuality Minorities)
- Project Queer (Tumblr)
- Trans* Awareness (Tumblr)
- Trans Etiquette 101: No Offense, But That’s Offensive (Tumblr)
- Cissexism, Transphobia, & Cissupremacy. (Tumblr)
- So what’s a genderqueer, eh? (Tumblr)
- Gender Neutral Pronoun Blog
- The Spoon Theory written by Christine Miserandino
- Ableist Word Profile
- Don’t Support Autism Speaks
- I’m Autistic, But Autism Speaks Doesn’t Speak for Me.
- An Autistic Speaks About Autism Speaks
- Why I am against Autism Speaks (Tumblr)
- Checking Your Privilege 101 (pdf)
- Male privilege checklist (pdf)
- White Privilege Checklist (pdf)
- Binary-Gender Privilege Checklist
- Cis Privilege Checklist
- Heterosexual privilege checklist (pdf)
- Checklist of Neurotypical Privilege
- Christian Privilege Checklist
- Christian Privileges in American Society: Hidden Ways Christians are Privileged
- Privilege even in veganism
- Vegan Privilege
All that’s under the ableism heading is Autism Speaks and the spoon theory?
So far, yes. It’s a work in progress and will be updated and reblogged.
Over the next week (or two!), I will be creating posts to raise awareness about issues relevant to women, gender, and sexuality.
Do you have a cool idea for a simple graphical representation of these issues? I welcome your suggestions! Keep in mind that I would like to stick to my current posting format for now (take a look at some of my previous posts if you’re unsure).
I also certainly welcome links to articles pertaining to these topics that I can reference in the photo captions.
Send me messages in the askbox OR send an email to standforsomethingtumblr AT gmail